Date: 4th October 2019
Speaker: Emma Hollings
Business: Emma Hollings Photography
Topic: Social Media
“Social media is a funny thing – the busier you are, the more people appear to be interested in you!”
3 key points
1. Document what you do
• It’s surprising how many people are interested in what you’re up to and who you’re meeting – the number of times that sparks a conversation is amazing!
• So, don’t ‘overthink’ it – just get into the habit of posting and you’ll soon get a better feel for it.
2. It’s not just about posting – it’s about engaging
• People love stories…they don’t like selling.
• As you post more, you’ll become much more aware of what generates comments and interaction.
3. Create intrigue
• For example, Emma noted that photos with her in (as a photographer) seemed to attract far more engagement.
• The rationale: clients generally don’t like having picture taken, but view it as a ‘necessary evil’. Therefore, a photographer stepping out of her comfort zone and appearing in front of the camera provides a fresh new angle.
What works in social media? Well, it depends upon your business, but a personal summary from Emma highlights the following:
• Facebook – great for engagement / have a separate business v personal account.
• LinkedIn – great for connections – shows how many views a post has received.
• Instagram – ‘credibility’ (for a photographer) but note that you do have to do it from your phone (you can’t upload photos from your PC apparently).
“I really don’t like social media that much, but I’ve taught myself to be disciplined…and it does work!”
Click here to view Emma’s Cross Reference page.