Date: 4th October 2019
Speaker: Emma Hollings
Business: Emma Hollings Photography
Topic: Social Media
“Social media is a funny thing – the busier you are, the more people appear to be interested in you!”
3 key points
1. Document what you do
• It’s surprising how many people are interested in what you’re up to and who you’re meeting – the number of times that sparks a conversation is amazing!
• So, don’t ‘overthink’ it – just get into the habit of posting and you’ll soon get a better feel for it.
2. It’s not just about posting – it’s about engaging
• People love stories…they don’t like selling.
• As you post more, you’ll become much more aware of what generates comments and interaction.
3. Create intrigue
• For example, Emma noted that photos with her in (as a photographer) seemed to attract far more engagement.
• The rationale: clients generally don’t like having picture taken, but view it as a ‘necessary evil’. Therefore, a photographer stepping out of her comfort zone and appearing in front of the camera provides a fresh new angle.
What works in social media? Well, it depends upon your business, but a personal summary from Emma highlights the following:
• Facebook – great for engagement / have a separate business v personal account.
• LinkedIn – great for connections – shows how many views a post has received.
• Instagram – ‘credibility’ (for a photographer) but note that you do have to do it from your phone (you can’t upload photos from your PC apparently).
“I really don’t like social media that much, but I’ve taught myself to be disciplined…and it does work!”
Click here to view Emma’s Cross Reference page.
Date: 4th October 2019
Speaker: Olly Denhard
Business: IT Trouble Free – IT solutions for small & medium-sized businesses
Topic: Cyber security
“Cyber security is a journey not a destination.”
3 key points
October is the month for ghouls and ghosts (Hallowe’en), so perhaps it’s apt that it’s also Cyber Security month?
Olly outlined some basic housekeeping for our most-oft used electronic devices:
* Back-up of data – don’t back up to the same device you are transferring from!
* A physical back-up to an external hard disk combined with an automated cloud-based back-up will ensure business continuity
* Antivirus software – whilst primarily designed to protect computers against viruses, many antivirus programs now protect against other types of malware, such as spyware, adware, and rootkits as well.
* Sophos is a very reputable (free) product which protects both Windows and Mac laptops (yes, Macs are vulnerable to viruses too!)
* Passwords – use 2-factor authentication wherever possible and don’t use the same passwords over and over again.
• LastPass saves your passwords and gives you secure access from every computer and mobile device.
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM), “a collaborative effort between government and industry to raise awareness about the importance of cybersecurity.”
In a rare moment of global co-operation, NCSAM is taking place simultaneously across Europe and the USA.
Remember that if you hold any client data on your electronic devices, under GDPR you are legally required to make sure this data is safe and protected.
Click here to view Olly’s Cross Reference page.
If you are looking for legal advice and assistance, K J Smith Solicitors are specialist family and divorce solicitors who can provide you with support and guidance for issues involving; Divorce and Family Law, Wills, Trusts and Probate, Powers of Attorney and Deputyship Applications.
Although we can’t take away the stress of divorce, family breakdown or bereavement we can help to ease it. Through understanding and prompt action, our family solicitors aim to provide practical solutions to help you resolve any family matters as quickly and as amicably as possible.
Our dedicated and caring team of family law solicitors always aim to deliver an efficient and professional service with continued support and advice throughout. We are recognised by the Legal 500 as a Leading Firm and deal with cases ranging from the simple to the highly complex. Speak to our team today to arrange a free initial consultation and obtain immediate professional advice.
Member: Shefali Maher
Telephone: 01494 629000
Roger Rawlinson, Founder of Elite Coaching
Do you have an issue with the performance of one of your employees?
Do you need to restructure but don’t know where to start?
Do you need to update your employment or freelance contracts?
Here at Elite Coaching and HR we will help you with all your HR and employment needs, from recruitment to redundancy, from absence to appraisals. And we won’t charge you to talk through with you an issue for reassurance or to get on the right track.
Just ring me on the number below.
Member: Roger Rawlinson
Patricia Buckland is the founder of Debt Talk, Financial Strategist.
I teach Financial Literacy, which means I talk about personal money management. As a BACP Person-Centred Counsellor and Qualified Tutor I work with my clients to support them have a healthier relationship with their money.
Working as Founder of Debt Talk I have gained the following experience: Financial Literacy and Capability resource, design and delivery including Workshops and 1 2 1 and eLearning including statistics and reports.
Member: Patricia Buckland
Phone Mob: 07500 931773
Beyond Numbers mission is to serve ambitious businesses with real time information so they can act with confidence, make smart decisions more quickly to grow with their business year on year.
The reality is that too many business owners simply do not know what area of their business is making the most profit, whether their marketing investment is adding any value and what steps they really need to focus on in order to reach their goals.
Our focus is on utilising the latest cloud technology so management accounts become a natural habit, informative and geared towards understanding and taking positive action to develop and grow.
Business forecasting is a proven method to help companies measure and grow. We look to take you to the next level by showing you what the future entails using different scenario’s so that you can measure the impact of the decisions you make today…
On top of that, we work with you to measure a specific KPI (Key Performance Indicators) portfolio including non-financial metrics as these will sway the destiny of your business.. This will mean you get to focus and manage the areas of YOUR business that RESULT in the maximum impact.
Email Tim Brooker
Web design and development.
We create clever solutions that connect, simplify and engage.
We do it for clients big and small, helping them to run their businesses, connect their global teams and promote their products. From complex internal systems to microsites, we can advise on the best way forward for your business and your budget.
We offer a wide range of technical, design and hosting services, specialising in creating internal systems for medium to large organisations, often for gathering information or improving the way teams work together. Whether the project is bespoke development or off-the-shelf customisation, we use the latest and leading technologies – including HTML5/CSS3, jQuery, PHP and our own custom-built Content Management System (CMS) – to deliver the most effective solution.
Member: Paul Fogg
Telephone: 079 46408870
Jakki 2ky for Promotional Merchandise. We provide our clients big and small with exciting merchandise, clothing, gadgets and gismos to promote their company and brand identity. With excellent industry knowledge we know how to stretch your marketing budget with cost effective products that have a lasting wow effect.
Member: Jackie Kennedy
Telephone: 01494 431866
I specialise in working with the smaller, service based businesses that have stuck at revenue levels of £3-£5k a month. Our Business Growth Programme is specifically designed to deliver you a £10k month. Our Mastermind Programme helps you maintain that level of revenue and build on it.
You’ll be working with someone with over 30,000 hours of hands on coaching, teaching and facilitation experience.
I’m not someone who just practices theory having built a number of businesses and focus on keeping my life balanced, in perspective and enjoyable.
Our groups programmes are a mixture of online learning, phone support and face to face meetings.
If you’re looking for someone to give you a sense check, support your decision making and help you move towards your goals, connect with me and we’ll arrange a 30 minute business growth call.
I’m also available for booking as a Speaker. Delegates leave events inspired, motivated and ready to make at least one change. I have an energy, passion and style that makes people think. You can see my show reel on www.ash-taylor.co.uk/speaking
Member: Ash Taylor
Telephone: 01494 706706